Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sharing My Life (4/26/09): Seeking God

As one might imagine, I did find getting faced with rejections on two fronts a bit discouraging. However, in the midst of it, I also came to realize something different about the way I was seeking to follow God. Back in High School when I first came to know Christ, I remember praying constantly to know the will of God, so I could live my life accordingly. Certainly not a bad prayer, but looking back on it, I realize that I was thinking in terms of specifics like: Which college did God want me to go to? Which major would best prepare me for the life He had set out before me? Which friends would best support and encourage me in my continuing walk with God? All good questions, yet over the years, as I have walked with God, read through scripture, and prayerfully sought to apply it in my life, I have come to see that living according to God’s will is more about a way of life and less about the specific tasks and plans I make while living it.

Let me illustrate this a bit more by looking at one of the classic passages I was presented win in terms of seeking after God’s will. In the Old Testament, Micah, one of the Minor Prophets writes:

“He has showed you, O man, what is good.

And what does the Lord require of you?

To act justly and to love mercy

and to walk humbly with your God” (Micah 6:8).

What does Micah say God requires of us? Is it a particular job or the right mate or the right college, or even the right church? Interestingly enough, the passage has nothing to say about those specifics. It’s almost like Micah is saying God is more concerned about the particulars of how you are walking with Him regardless of what job you have, who you marry, where you graduate from or even where you worship Him. The question is not how are you seeking God’s will for your life, but how are you seeking God?

No comments: