Sunday, April 26, 2009

Life Update (4/26/09): Following Leads

Towards the middle of March I really began to realize that over the past few years God has invested a lot in me through the experiences He has lead me through and the many things He has shown and taught me through those experiences. As such, I began to feel a desire to invest that experience and knowledge in others. Round that same time, two opportunities came my way to serve and put my experience and knowledge to work.

First, my church, the Church of the Open Door, is starting a new kind of youth program this coming Fall. They want to set up every youth from grades 7 through 12 with a Mentor and set those Mentors up with Mentor Coordinators to support them. It turned out I was too old to be a Mentor for them, but I did fit the criteria for being a Mentor Coordinator. So, I applied and was interviewed. Unfortunately, though they thought I was well qualified and worthy of such a position, they had more applicants than positions, so I did not get chosen.

At the same time, a second opportunity came my way, when my folks encouraged me to pursue further studies and I applied for Bethel’s Marriage and Family Therapy Post-Graduate Certificate Program. I did get chose to take part in the Group Interview, but my application for admission was denied.

Currently, I am working at finding ways to invest in the clients that I am working with in ways that are appropriate to their needs and my working relationship with them. I am also seeking ways to become more active in my church and recovery community. We will see what happens.

No comments: