Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sharing My Life (1/31/09): Investing

In light of the recent developments in our nation’s and even world’s economy, I have been reflecting and praying a lot about my investments. Not my financial ones as much as the other things I am investing in, such as people, organizations, churches and the like. What in my life am I spending time, money and energy in? What am I gaining back in return? Are there things in my life that it is not healthy for me to continue investing my time, energy and money into? Let me give you an example of what I’m talking about:

When I first moved to Maple Grove back in August I continued attending same church I had been and helping out with the same ministries that I had been when I lived down in Minneapolis and Saint Paul, while also attending church and helping out here in Maple Grove. This worked for a little while, but after a few months, I began to feel the strain of trying to worship and minister in two places at once. While I could continue to divide my spiritual energies in two, I felt God calling me to pick one and commit to it. That is why a couple months ago, I stopped heading down to Saint Paul to attend and help out with Evensong and started investing more of my time, money and energy into joining in with God’s work at Church of the Open Door. It’s not that Evensong was an unhealthy place for me to be. They are a wonderful church and I am so thankful for all God did in and through me among the people there. Yet, now I was feeling Him inviting me to be fully a part of what He is doing at Open Door.

There are a number of other areas in my life that I’m also looking at in this fashion. Maybe there are areas in your life where your money, energy and time are being spent in unhealthy ways? Maybe there are people, organizations, ministries or other things that God may be inviting you to invest more in then you currently are? Maybe God’s asking you to invest less in some things, so you can invest more in others? Whatever invitation you may be sensing, I pray you answer it, even if doing so may be painful or costly. A preacher once told me that how we are managing our finances is a good indicator of how we managing our spiritual lives. I think I would nuance that a bit to say that God has given each of us resources of a spiritual, financial, emotional, and social quality and He is calling each and every one of His children to invest and invest wisely.

No comments: