Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Sharing My Life (1/31/07): Being True

Another part of taking things slower has been a re-examining of my call to ministry. I do not doubt God’s call upon my life or my passion to love Him and His people. Some times I just doubt whether the approach I am taking to answering that call is really the one He desires and designed me for. There are days when I feel right at home being a chaplain, and then there are times when the expectations of that role feel out of sync with who it feels like God created me to be.

One area where this struggle has been most on my mind these days is that of needing to be a “professional.” Always wanting to be sure that I am putting forth the right image of being a chaplain, even if I am not sure what that image is. Making sure not to offend or get too close to those I am ministering with and to, even if I sense that “ offense” or “closeness” maybe exactly what they may need at that moment. I could go on, but I think you get the struggle.

Sometimes this struggle also manifests itself in my personal life as well. With my friends and family, I want to be myself. I want to let my true colors shine and let Christ’s work within me manifest itself in my life for all to see yet I hold back out of uncertainty and fear. Uncertainty about certain specifics and fear that those specifics are the exact things they want me to be certain about. Uncertainty about how they will react to certain things I have been through and fear what their reaction could mean.

Many times this struggle also manifests itself in a kind of hesitancy. People ask me questions that they desire quick answers to and I hesitate, thinking not only about my answer but also the reaction that answer will elicit and whether or not that is really kind of answer they are looking for anyway. I experienced this during my meeting with the BGC MGC and they saw it as further evidence of my not being ready for ordination. Maybe so, though I doubt I am the first minister to get cold feet or doubt his call.

2 comments:

Roland said...

Hey Mike.
I understand your dilemna somewhat.
The question is whether you want the job for profit or prophet?
I know, bad pun.
I know your heart and you don't want it for profit. But that leaven of 'image' always creeps into what we want to do.
Out of curiosity, because I deleted it, did you hear about the Friedleins move on the 3rd of March?

Unknown said...

Thanks, Roland. I did not know about Brad's upcoming move. Rather, I knew it was coming, but didn't know the date. Thanks!