Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Grill Session 1

As I mentioned in my last letter, the next step in my ordination process is coming up quick. Next week I will be presenting my Statement of Faith to the Ministerial Guidance Committee of the Baptist General Conference (BGC). According to the BGC official I have been meeting with, the Committee will consist of a Bethel Seminary professor and four pastors. Each will have now been supplied with a copy of my Faith Statement and, as a result, each will have several questions for me in relation to it. As far as I know, my Statement of Faith does not contain any major heresies, so most of the questions will be directed ensuring that I not only know what I believe, but why I believe it.

As I contemplate this upcoming “interview,” I admit I am a bit unsure about how to prepare. So far I have been reading and re-reading my Statement of Faith to ensure I understand it and can defend it, if necessary. In doing so, I realized I left out something rather fundamental. Of course being that it’s a Statement of Faith and not a Systematic Theology, there were going to be some things that I had to leave out just for the sake of space and time. For instance, I chose not to cover the Last Days, because that would mean covering all the controversy about it and doing so would require a paper all of its own. Yet in re-reading my Statement of Faith, I found that I had left out something a bit more critical: Christ’s Resurrection. I do not know how I forgot this or even how it’s omission was missed by my readers, but that is what happened apparently. Upon realizing this, I sought the counsel of my BGC official. He recommended I write up a short piece about Christ’s Resurrection and my beliefs regarding it. As a test run, I have decided to present it here.

No comments: