Sunday, March 27, 2005

A Brief Easter Reflection

This is taken from the sermon I preached on Easter Sunday. The passages for that day were Acts 10: 34-43; Psalm 118; Colossains 3:1-4 and John 20:1-18. Here's the message:

In that passage from the book of Acts that was just read. Peter recounts the message of the cross. That message of God sending His Son to earth to live a life of love among us and die for our sins. That is the message of Good Friday. Because of what Christ did, over 2000 years ago on that cross, we can now know forgiveness for our every wrong. It doesn't matter if we've killed a person or simply lied. It was all paid for back on that tree. Yes, that is the message of Christ's death of Good Friday.

So, if that's the message of Good Friday, what about Easter Sunday? What does it mean that Christ rose from the grave 2000 years ago? It means simply this: Not only are we free of the burden of our sin, but even more, we are free and empowered to live life without it. In rising from the dead, Jesus Christ defeated Satan and broke the power of sin. We were imprisoned by all of our wrong doings and in His death and resurrection, Jesus Christ broke the chains and set us free. He has open the door to the cage we built around us with our sin and now stands at the door, beckoning us to come out. The question is will we? Will I? Will you? Will we allow our Savior to take us by His nail-pierced hand and lead us the abundant life He promised us or will we slam the door in His face and cower back in our cages of sin? He longs to free us from that sin and empower us to walk without it. But we are the ones who must make the choice to take His nail-pierced hand and follow Him.

How do we do this? I think Paul gives us an idea in the second passage we read today from his letter to the closings. We must set our minds on Christ and live our lives to honor Him. Not that this will be easy. It won't be. Jesus Christ never took the easy road through life and neither can we. The Christian life was never meant to be a casuals. To live a life without suffering, is not what it means to live the resurrected life. What it means is that when suffering does come our way, God will give us the strength to bear through it and maybe even find His peace in it's midst.

Well, I could go on, but our time here is short and I still have some more things left to do with you. Let me close with a poem I once wrote while struggling with a sin I longed to be free of.

Forgiven
The Father:
I have already forgiven your failings.
Why do you bring them before Me again?

I have already washed you clean.
Why do you insist on playing in the dirt?

Accept My forgiveness.
Receive My cleansing.

Why do you cling to that which I have already released you from?
Why do you remain in the dungeon?
The chains have already been broken and the key thrown away.

The gates of iron have been flung wide open
And yet still you cower in the cage of your own making

The light has been shown forth
Yet you prefer the darkness

What more can I do for you, My child?

How else can I bid you come?
The table has already been set and the dinner bell is ringing
Is it possible you have not heard Me calling?

Answer Me and I will give you the desires of your heart.
I am your Father and have always been faithful.
Is this not the truth?
Listen to your heart, My child.
You know Who I am.
You have always known.

His Child:
Come unto me, O Desire of my heart!
Beckon me unto Your Feast, O Satisfier of my deepest hunger!
Dance with Me, O Romancer of my soul!
Set me beside the still waters, O Author of my peace!
Run with me, O my Ever True Companion
Guide my steps. O Victorious Winner of the race set before me!

You Who began this good work in me,
You are my Faithful Father
And You will finish what You have started!
Yes, You will finish what you have started!

No comments: