Saturday, March 07, 2009

Life Update (3/7/09): "Minnesota Nice"?

I have lived in Minnesota now for a little over eight years and still find this trait of people here a bit frustrating. When I was living on the East Coast, in New Jersey and Massachusetts, I got used to people being pretty straight-forward with me, yet here it’s different. Many times I encounter people who are nice enough at first, but I later find out they could actually care less. This is most frustrating in the work environment. I will have clients who are very cordial and friendly with me, yet constantly critique my work to my supervisors. A few of my friends are sometimes like this, but I’m learning to confront this in my clients, supervisors and friends by learning to be consistently honest. If I have a problem with them, I am working to take it up with them, instead of letting it stew in my subconscious. If I make a mistake, I own up to it as soon as I become aware of it, instead of waiting for others to point it out. I can’t change the way others are, but I can work on changing myself through submitting to God’s work in my life and hope that they see this and desire for Him to work in their lives as well.

No comments: