Monday, February 19, 2007

Sharing My Life (2/19/07): The Little Things

As I have taken a step back from advancing my career so aggressively this month, God has been bringing to light a number of areas that got lost again in all of my big move to get placed in ministry. Little things like making sure I have enough money to pay all my bills and not going into debt, honoring God in my friendships and relationships and being a good worker, just to name a few. It is not that I am in danger of going bankrupt, losing friends or getting fired. Yet I have noticed that I am spending beyond my means, not spending enough quality time with friends and just barely doing the minimum in some of my job responsibilities.

However, noticing something and doing something about are two different things, so this afternoon I sat down with a financial consultant, referred to me by Calvary, and worked out a budget to help me get my spending habits under control and work away at my debt. I have also met with both my supervisors to get more of a handle on my job responsibilities. As for my friends, I am trying to take that one friendship at a time.

Throughout it all, I can hear God saying, “Mike, make it your ambition to lead a quiet life in these days. Honor me in the little things, and when the time comes, you will be ready to handle the greater things I will give to you” (1Thessalonians 4:11-12, Matthew 25: 14-30).

No comments: