Thursday, July 27, 2006

Sharing My Life: Detecting Filters

One of the things I continually become more aware of every time I get into a position that involves direct interaction with people is how my assumptions I have affect their reality and how theirs affect mine. Now I know some of you might tell me I need to just get rid of all my assumptions, but I don’t really think that’s totally advisable or even really possible in many cases. I mean, an assumption is basically something that is accepted as true based on previous experience. For example, in order to type these words, I am assuming the keys I am hitting will translate to letters on this page. I am assuming this chair I am sitting in will hold me. Those and others are just the assumptions I’m aware of. There are even more under the surface that are just automatic for me. Our conscious awareness can only handle so much information, so our brain is constantly filtering what information we consciously perceive and what information just “goes in one ear and out the other.” Sometimes we are even conscious of this selection process. However, there is a lot about it we are not conscious of.

One assumption that I constantly interact with as a chaplain is that I, as a chaplain, will be like all the other chaplains or ministers in this patient’s life. Based on all their previous experiences with ministers they have built up a set of expectations. They have a mental picture of what a chaplain is supposed to be like. In many cases, this is good, because it saves me the time it would normally take to explain my role, but other times the patient has had negative experiences of pastors and that make them much less receptive to my care. Other times they have had positive experiences, yet may still have assumptions about how I should be with them that I need to be aware of in my interactions with them.

So, being a chaplain continues to be a challenging and formative experience for me. I don’t think there will ever be a time when I will “arrive” as a chaplain and know “all that I need to know.” We rarely, if ever, reach that point in any area of our lives and chaplaincy is no different.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that it probably isn't a good idea to undertake to get rid of one's assumptions. It takes a lot of effort, and if you manage to clean the slate, our fallen nature simply fills it up again.

Maybe it is better to undertake to identify our assumptions, or what I would term, predispositions. There will be some that we don't like, and since it would be counterproductive to try to erase them, better to think about ways of countering the likely consequences of predispositions.

You are certainly correct in perceiving that your clients have assumptions about a "chaplain." But it is also could be that you have some assumptions about "clients." Some of those assumptions, once recognized, will seem good, and you will want to find ways to support and to enhance them. Some, you will discern to be not so good. By their very nature, predispositions and assumptions usually kick in before you see them coming. The powerful thing to do is to anticipate and to proactively erode their effect.

Thank you for sharing your ongoing self-revelation.

Unknown said...

Anonymous,
I agree assumptions and dispositions are a two way street. We all have them, myself included. Some are good and some are bad. The key is to be aware of them and the effects they are having.