Sunday, August 28, 2005

Mike's Musings (8/28/05)

• Mike’s Musings (08/28/05) •

Dear family & friends,

• Life Update: One Step at a Time

Well, another month has gone by. Like most months, I have made some progress in some areas and others are going a bit slower. Thank goodness, I am learning that God takes us as we are, screw-ups, triumphs and everything in between, and uses it all to mod us into the children of God He created us to be from the very beginning. My admission file at SCSU is complete; they will let me know of their decision in a week or so. Right in time for me to start taking classes this Fall. In the meantime, my internship is coming to an end come the end of September and I am still looking for my next “paycheck source.” If anyone knows of a job opening in this area that has “my name written all over it” I am all ears.

• Sharing My Journey: Immanuel

The following is an excerpt from a sermon I just preached this morning. The pastor of the local BGC church plant I have been attending was on a much-needed break and allowed me the privilege of sharing God's message through me and my worship to Him with them. The crowd was small and appreciative of my efforts. Here’s a sample:

I wish to start by telling you a story. No, it’s not a story from the Bible, though as you will see, it has those themes within it. It’s a story that could easily have been pulled from the headlines of today’s newspaper. I found it in a book that tells the tale of young man’s journey to God. The book is called Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller and the story goes something like this:

A team of Navy SEALs was sent on a convert mission to free hostages from a building in hostile territory. The team flew in by helicopter, made their way to the compound and stormed into the room where the hostages had been imprisoned for months. The room was filthy and dark. The hostages were curled up in the corner, terrified. When the SEALs entered the room, they heard the gasps of the hostages. They stood at the door and called to the prisoners, telling them they were Americans. The SEALs asked the hostages to follow them, but the hostages wouldn’t budge. They just sat there on the floor and hid their eyes in fear. They were not of healthy mind and couldn’t believe these men who had stormed into the room were really there to rescue them, never mind whether they were Americans or not.

The SEALs stood there, not knowing what to do. They couldn’t possibly carry everybody out. Suddenly, one of the soldiers had an idea. He put down his weapon, took off his helmet, removed his body armor, and curled up tightly next to one of the other hostages, getting so close his body was touching some of theirs. He softened the look on his face and put his arms around them. He was trying to show them he was one of them. None of the prison guards would have done this. He stayed there for a little while until some of the hostages started to look at him, finally meeting his eyes. The Navy SEAL then whispered that they were Americans and were here to rescue them. “Will you follow us?” the soldier asked. Then the hero stood to his feet and one of the hostages did the same, then another, until all of them were willing to go.

That story, my friends, is not unlike our own. For you see, we were once like those hostages. Caught in the grasp of this sinful world, we could not hear God calling out to us. We were like the nation of Israel in the Old Testament. God sent them judges, prophets and kings, all with news of God’s goodness and saving grace. Yet all His Words through them fell on deaf ears. They, like us, were too stuck in their own ways. The ways this world says are true and right. So, into our midst God sent His only Son. Not as a God, that we might marvel at His strength and power, but as a babe so we might learn from His humility.

And on that note, I’ll wrap up this month’s newsletter. Thanks again for allowing me to share my life and ministry with you in this fashion. I pray God blesses you in its reading as He has me in its writing. I think I am finally beginning to understand what an honor and privilege it is to share God’s message with His people. Regardless of the method or venue. Peace out, my dear brothers and sisters.

No comments: